Tuesday 13 September 2011

Mad Hatter

I've been a veritable mad hat-maker these last few weeks and have lots of photos today of my hand-knitted hats, all made using my own pattern too!

These latest hats are mainly knit with DK/8ply wool and I've cast on 90sts instead of the 60 required for the chunky adult hats in the above link. I've also enjoyed doing Fair Isle using 3 colours and adding textured patterns to some.

Here are the Fair Isle hats, the first one,
and the second which I think I prefer......
Then comes a rolled brim hat...the rolled brim forms naturally when you knit all the rounds, if you were knitting it on straight needles then you'd leave out the garter stitch rows and begin with stocking stitch at row 1.

I worked 12 rows of basketweave stitch after 10rows of stocking stitch (to create this rolled brim).

This next hat looks a bit odd in the photo but once worn it spreads out and shows it's interesting pattern..
Instead of a garter stitch edge I worked a simple rib of  Knit1 Purl for 8 rows.

This is Helen's Hat, so-called as it was made with love for a dear friend in Queensland. What's that? You thought it was always warm and sunny in Queensland? Not in Winter and when you live inland. Helen loves her hat! I used 3 strands to get the unique colouring here, white and lavender 4ply acrylic and a 4ply alpaca blend in a soft mauve. I did sew in that loose thread too ;)

The last hat off the needles is a custom made to match a loved one's Winter coat....by working with a fancy eyelash yarn for the first few rows you can get this furry edging which looks rather nice.

2 comments: