Thursday 24 May 2012

A Walk on Tern Island

What do you do when you are feeling very sad? I head out to the beach, especially in Winter when we have clear days like this week. In the afternoon the 'breeze' off the Indian Ocean is very strong and kite surfers make the most of this shallow bay that has formed between Tern Island and the main beach...12 years ago Tern Island was indeed an island, a large sandbar that kept growing until finally it has turned into a spit. It is a sanctuary for birds...



You can see Penguin Island in the background, there is a Fairy Penguin Conservation Centre on that island as well as the pelican breeding area...


I was delighted to find this pile of seaweed mimicking the shape of the small island on the horizon.....one of the local fishing boats is on the left, Warnbro Sound is rich in crayfish, crabs and all manner of fish...


The seaweeds are quite beautiful...


and these twisted and worn roots look like old rope....


Looking back toward the foreshore at Safety Bay....


hehe I look like I'm on stilts.....

...and perhaps I should have read these notices before I went a-walking...


Hope you enjoyed our little walk, it certainly cleared my head and showed me how fortunate I am to live in such a beautiful place.

My poor Dad is having his last 8 teeth removed today, I could cry thinking about that but he said "Don't you worry about it!" Hopefully having full dentures will be easier for him now. I have to go to Mandurah for my 3 monthly venesection this morning...what fun!

Bye bye for now,
Love Sue

3 comments:

  1. I do the same Sue, I head for the beach! I love how your water is "back to front". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a lovely walk..it seems very relaxing and pleasing ... i live in a concrete jungle with few green pockets and though the roads are lined with trees, the weather is so terribly hot, we barely step out for leisurely strolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commiserations to you and your Dad, but how fortunate to be able to 'walk it off' in such a lovely spot. I'm pretty well trapped in a chair since my stroke, so tend to vent my feelings either by arguing or taking vicarious walks around the beautiful Scottish glen where I live.

    ReplyDelete