Friday 1 March 2013

ANZAC Slice

Recently at the forum members have mentioned making a sweet slice when they've been baking. I used to make them regularly when my children were little as they're quicker than biscuits but you can still use lots of rolled oats or muesli for healthy snack or lunch box treat. I looked on-line and found lots of great recipes and made this one knowing Joe loves ANZAC biscuits. It's around 9inches square and I cut it into 16 pieces for the freezer. Here is the lovely ANZAC cake recipe too.


You'll need

1 1/4 cups each of wholemeal flour and rolled oats
1 cup each of brown sugar and dessicated coconut
150 gms of butter
2 large tablespoons of golden syrup
2 tablespoons of hot water with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb dissolved in it

Melt together the butter and syrup, stir in the hot water and bicarb
Mix together the 4 dry ingredients and then pour the melted butter etc in
Mix thoroughly and press into a prepared slice tin.
Bake at 180C for around 30mins until just golden at the edges.
Leave to cool in tin and then cut to required size(unlike some-one else who took hers out early for a photo and cracked it throughout)

I finished a little baby blanket yesterday, it's only about 18 inches square so will be handy for the car/baby capsule and as it's going to a baby girl it will make a sweet dolly blanket when she's a little older...


Now I can start something else(evil cackle)!

I'm reading Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult and find it fascinating, the wolves have such a complex pack order/hierarchy and I keep running to the computer for more information about them. They are such majestic animals too and I don't think Little Red Riding Hood did them any favours at all when she wrote her auto-biography! Have a look here for more

Wishing you all a calm and happy weekend,
Love from Sue
xxx.

3 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the slice Sue and I think I might have to try the cake too, as soon as I get coconut again.

    Did you get my email regarding a cinema ticket?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found it now, Claire thank you(I forget to check my mail!)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still reading An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler. What a gorgeous baby blanket. It's a lovely crochet pattern. I love making baby blankets to give a as gifts.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete