Thursday 30 May 2013

Using My Slow Cooker/Crockpot

I've been getting much more use out of my lovely Breville slow cooker(thanks Mum) these days and then Mandy linked me to this great facebook site, My Slow Cooker Recipes . A lot of the recipes use canned soups etc but the techniques can be modified to suit the "cooking from scratch" recipes I prefer to use.
The members are friendly and very helpful and Jenny does a great job of keeping this very large group running smoothly and the recipes clear and easy to follow.

However yesterday a lovely member posted this ridiculously easy pull-apart bread recipe and I was very keen to try it myself using one of Joe's tins of condensed soup, his childhood favourite.

3 1/2 cups of SR Flour
1 tin of condensed soup(that is the kind that you add a tin full of water or milk to to dilute it)
1/4 tin milk
handful of chopped bacon
handful of grated cheese

Mix them altogether and then knead lightly
Break into 6 pieces and place in slow cooker on baking paper or grease well
Bake on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours with a tea towel over the cooker but under the lid to soak up the steam



It's a keeper!

This week I've also used the slow cooker to make a lovely Vegetable Bake using mainly root vegies and tomatoes and I'm cooking a whole chicken in it this afternoon.

Vegies at the ready...just a couple of tablespoons of water and Worcestershire sauce provided the initial liquid and as the vegies cooked they released their juices...

 



I bottled up my second lot of olives yesterday...I had no idea there were so many and I had to use every jar in the house...



It's cool and very wet here today as we wait for the lady to come and do our Rent Inspection.
Stay warm and dry,
Love from Sue
xxxhttps://www.facebook.com/groups/202013473167734/?hc_location=stream

4 comments:

  1. Your bread looks to be delicious, but I marvel at the olives.

    Do they stay the same colors as they are now in the jars, or do they eventually turn close to the same color?

    Do the different colors taste differently? Different texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea. My slow cooker languishes unloved and unused most of the time. It is high time I put it to work again - and this bread sounds the perfect way to begin.

    The jars of olives look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Sue, the pull apart looks yummy, I'm too afraid to make them as I adore that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whau, a bread made in a slow cooker? It looks fantastic! Olives around here only from the grocery store unfortunatly! Thank you for sharing. Wishing you a great weekend Sue!

    ReplyDelete