Monday 16 October 2017

Cauliflower and Feta Bake and Other Tales

I really enjoy the recipes from this blog, Ozlem's Turkish Table ~ the Mediterranean countries have a climate much like Perth's and the food available there such as  capsicums, eggplants, garlic, zucchini and tomatoes are abundant here too.

Ozlem explains that instead of making fritters with this mix she bakes it for a lighter meal. The one thing you must do though is chop the cauliflower into small pieces as they are not pre-cooked. Heather, you can leave out the chilli altogether my dear, the cheese and onions shine through for a beautiful flavour.

You'll need
around 800gms chopped cauliflower, add the stalk but chop it finely
1/2 a finely chopped red onion
3 finely sliced spring onions
2 tablespoons each chopped parsley and dill or a heaped teaspoon each of dried herbs (ETA I think this is too much dill as it has a rather unusual taste, perhaps a sprinkle and lots of parsley would be better)
pinch of chilli flakes(optional)
4 T plain flour(I use wholemeal)
pepper to taste
180gm crumbled feta cheese
2 T olive oil
5 eggs beaten together with a big dollop of plain yogurt

Just mix it all together really well and bake at 180C for around 30-40 minutes.

I'd bought some chicken sticks on special so I baked them at the same time to enjoy with the cauliflower bake...


We had an amazing sunset on Saturday night, local friends posted their photos on Facebook...these are mine


I love the bare branches of our frangipani tree at the front door...


In Arles tiled numbers at the front of the house are very popular so I bought the 3 tiles to make our number 5 for around $4, the lavender is such an evocative symbol of the region and grows well in our gardens...I bought some tile cement which worked really well...



and while I had the cement at hand I glued my sea-horse to the wall too...in for a penny in for a pound...do you like our new ceramic pots?


The passion fruit vine opened it's first flower this morning...here the delicate tendrils cling to the fence, it's wet and windy again today but the vine will withstand the pressure...


  and finally the Papa Meilland rose I bought in memory of dear Mum flowered this morning on my brother's birthday...Happy Birthday Ian xxx


Bye bye for now, have a wonderful week
xxx

5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful Rose Sue xx.
    Thankyou for the recipe as for me it is perfect. I have all of those ingredients and cauliflower growing in the veggie patch. I will be making this one.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tiled house numbers.
    And the cauliflower dish sounds so good. I will try this when I have feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow ozlems blog as well. Their food is very similar to Greek. Haven't heard of this recipe though. Will check it out.
    Beautiful flowers. Your passion fruit is thriving. Wish I could taste a passion for one of these days
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the recipe Sue! It looks great!! Very red skies in those photos, so pretty! Number 5 is my favorite number and it is supposed to be a good luck number ;) Gorgeous rose!!

    ReplyDelete